Councils can implement actual change in your community. They can help to combat cancel-culture and even reject rate rises. Why not give it a go?
I have done some preliminary research on how to apply and what is involved. You’ll need to read and research yourself of course.
Here’s the basics;
- Applying costs $250. Also consider that you’ll need to pay for marketing, how-to-vote cards, and a few other things. You can fundraise for these costs.
- Make sure you’re enrolled to vote in your Local Government Area (LGA)
- Log in or register to the ‘candidate portal’ here. Everything you’ll need is there.
- Print out an application form (found here under the heading ‘nominating as a candidate’). If running as an independent, you’ll need SIX nominations from people in your LGA who are also enrolled to vote. There are two application types…
- Every LGA has a Returning Officer (RO) who helps you manage your application and gives ongoing support. You can find your RO here
- You must complete the free 90-min training which can be found here
- Familiarise yourself with the rules and processes around fundraising, campaigning, and so forth.
I am working with a team to hopefully be able to support you with marketing and campaigning. It’s very new and not ready yet so I cannot promise a specific amount of help…but I can promise there will be some help.
Email me at email@example.com to let me know if you’ve applied to be a candidate and I will help you directly from there.
Right click to save this image and share it around…